Skip to main content

Mississippi County Courthouse in Blytheville

[Publish date unknown.  Colors described are from the original construction.]

Mississippi County Courthouse - Blytheville
Chickasawba District                                                                                                                                Georgian Style Architecture Erected 1919                                                                                                                                                      Listed in National Register of Historic Places on December 6, 1996.

Blytheville courthouse

The foyer introduces the stateliness of this building, for its ceiling is two floors high and the walls and floor are all white marble.  From the right of the foyer, a matching marble balustrade leads to the second floor which is partially lined with a massive marble newel post at the foot of the stair.  A marble interior balcony supported by marble corbels is located above the front entrance opposite an exterior balcony.  Marble is used elsewhere in the building for window trim and wainscoting.  The walls are painted red below the chair rail to match the tile floor; above the rail, they are green.

Books rise nine shelves high around the red carpet and black chairs in the law library on the third floor.  In the adjacent courtroom, twelve columns support ornate plaster beams to form a large circle above the center of the room.  The American flag is mounted on the right of the bench.  The courtroom has two separate rows of windows:  a large row on its main floor and another row above, near the two story ceiling.  The windows are trimmed in elaborate dark mahogany woodwork, and the same work is used for radiator covers.  The courtroom has terra-cotta tiles in the spectator area and yellow carpet inside the bar; the walls and ceilings are white.

The building exterior is brown brick above cut sandstone on the first floor and the exterior trim is copper.  On the courthouse lawn are a memorial to the pioneers of Mississippi County, "who suffered hardships and endured privations," and an eternal flame flanked by monuments to veterans of the World Wars, Korea, and Vietnam.  Congressional Medal of Honor recipient Edgar H (Buck) Lloyd is buried on the courthouse grounds.

Mississippi County Courthouse
Blytheville Monuments & Markers

Dedicated by the Citizens of Mississippi County in grateful tribute to these men and women who gave their lives in defense of our country in World Wars One and Two

Lloyd, Edgar H.; Congressional Medal of Honor Recipient
Sullivan, Earl P.
Powell, James W.
Levy, Ben H.
Johnson, Lindsey
Jackson, Hershel
Bowen, Charles C.
Schmuck, Raymond W.
Gill, Ray A.
Gill, Richard V.
Northern, Orba
Harp, John
Webster, Walter G.
Hunt, James N.
Hunt, Willis B.
Reichel, Maurice E.
Douglas, Robert J.
Swett, Joseph E.
Bevill, Ivan T.
Hallmark, Johnnie W.
Ballque, George D.
Rodgers, Carl
Rodgers, William F.
Tate, Fred
Kroner, Max
Jarratt, C.L.
Gillis, James E.
Moody, Calvin C.
Nicols, Abe
Overton, Jess L.
Roberts, James "Babs"
Adams, Francis W.
Bryant, Elmer M.
Roberts, Leonard
Brown, Willie
Hunto, Charles A.
Robinson, Robert H.
Nelson, Albert J.
Walker, James A.
Ramey, Gordon
Brewer, Curtis F.
Kirk, Owen L.
Richardson, Howell D.
Faught, James E.
Ashabranner, A.G.
Shoot, Shelby C.
Ferguson, Willie L.
Dildine, Wesley B.
Privett, Jake C.
O' Brien, JOhn Z.
Jacks, W.T.
O' Neal, Harvey L.
O' Neal, Dewey A.
Mitchell, Roy E.
Hood, Earl V.
Segraves, Nelson
Kersey, Robert L.
Young, Valvie
Williams, Bilbo J.
Williams, Clyde
Davis, G.W.
Davis, Albert
Bowls, Ralph
Jones, Charles W.
Speck, Shelby
Lewis, August H.
Carson, Sam N.
Lynch, James H.
Shelton, William H.
Kline, Jack
Jones, Joe B.
Walker, Alvi
Davis, John A.
Lewis, J.C.
Miller, James T.
Sanders, Lee
Fain, Alvin
May, Oliver L.
Lesley, Jerrell R.
Holerfield, Henry H.
Butler, James I.
Davidson, Orvil O.
Turner, William R.
Scott, Walter W.
Hatcher, John J.
Kenchen, Garnie
O' Guinn, Daniel
Shatley, Lois E.

 

The White House
Washington

The President of the United States takes pride in awarding the Medal of Honor posthumously to
First Lieutenant Edgar H. Lloyd
Infantry U.S.Army

Citation for conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty.

Edgar Harold "Buck" Lloyd
Born February 28, 1922 at Gosnell Community near Blytheville
Son of Edgar Bentley and Lillian Lindley Lloyd

Started school at Gosnell Community, graduated from Blytheville High School in May 1939, entered University of Arkansas in September 1939, and graduated from University of Arkansas in June 1943.

Honors received at U. of A.

The Fraternity of Alpha Zeta
Pres. of Alpha Gamma Rho Fraternity
V. Pres. of Blue Key Fraternity
National Society of Pershing Rifles
Who's Who in American Universities and
Collegs 1942 & 1943
U. of A. Booster Club
The National Society of Scabbard & Blade
Pres. of Associated Students 1942 & 1943

Interfraternity Council
Light Heavy Boxing Champion

Died November 16, 1944
Near Limey France

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

admin